Chapter 4: And All That Could Have Been (Part II)

Present day Los Angeles, California…

Scarlette had arrived at the well-known Indian restaurant; that specialized in Punjabi cuisine. It was nice and intimate place; with dim lighting. It was very clean and elegant inside. White table cloths on square tables with modern black leather chairs, and little bronze India inspired tea lights in the center. White wash walls with metal works and mirrors hung. The air was also thick with the smell of curry, garlic, and ginger.

Scarlette was greeted by the hostess and was lead to a table in the back, where it was a bit more quiet. She took a seat and waited for her friend to show; she wasn’t late, Scarlette had arrived about ten minutes early. She sipped on some of the water the waiter had brought her and people watched for a bit.

It had only been a little over five minutes since Scarlette was waiting when a tall, leggy, brunette, with big black sunglasses sat at the table in front of Scarlette. She was wearing a black pencil skirt, pink soft silk chiffon blouse, paired with gold t-strap platform cork wedge sandals, and a 4 strand gold necklace.

“Have you been waiting long? I’m sorry if you have.” She took off her sunglasses and slid them into her purse.

Scarlette shook her head as she sipped on her water. “Oh no Sophia, I was actually really early, the traffic was better than I had expected. I’ve been sitting here for about five minutes, give or take a minute.” She smiled. “I believe they are serving Tandoori Chicken and Nihari Beef tonight.”

Just then the waiter came back, told them what was available, and then took their orders. He brought back two IPA beers and flat bread for them. They thanked him and began to catch up.

“So,” Scarlette began after taking a drink of her beer and nodding in content. “How are things with you?”

Sophia raised an eyebrow. “Shouldn’t I be asking you that?”

Scarlette shrugged. “Well, things are good for me. I have a lot of work coming up, photo shoots, club appearances, and a bit of travelling. I feel like I can breathe a bit better too now.”

“Because of the divorce?”

She nodded. “Yeah, that’s part of it. I don’t have to worry about him and what he is doing or who he is doing.” She took another drink of her beer. “I know I should be sad and heart broken, I mean, I am but it doesn’t hurt that much, you know? I was depressed about it for a few days, but I think for from the stress of telling him.” She sighed. “I think I did all my hurting and crying when I was still trying to hold on to whatever figment of relationship was there.” She put a piece of bread in her mouth.

Sophia nodded picking at a piece of the flat bread. “I see where you are coming from, I can’t say I fully understand it since I’ve never been in your position, but I believe you.” She took a sip from her water. “I always thought that is anyone was happy for a divorce, there was something wrong with them, but now… I can see how it can be a very good thing. I’m glad you got yourself out of the relationship. Finally!” She held up her glass of beer.

Scarlette smiled and lightly tapped her glass with Sophia’s. “To freedom!”

They both drank their beer and laughed. Their waiter came with the food and asked if they’d like another beer, they accepted and began to eat their food.

“Well, I’ve got news of my own.” Sophia smiled.

Scarlette swallowed her food. “Oh really?” She raised an eyebrow and smiled. “Spill.”

She blushed. “I met someone, his name is Matt, he is totally sweet and charming, I think you’d like him.” She gushed. “But,”

“But???” Scarlette motioned her to go on.

“He’s thirty eight years old and in a well known band.”

“And the problem is?”

Sophia relaxed. “I thought you’d be against that.”

Scarlette shook her head. “No, I mean if he is a good guy, treats you right, and makes you happy, then who am I to judge? I can’t label them all to be like him. That’s just unfair.”

Sophia straightened up a bit. “So… would you be willing to double date?”

“What?!” Scarlette shrieked, causing a few heads to turn. “I am in no way ready to date yet.”

“Oh come on, it could be fun. You need to get out there and play the field… And get laid for Christ sakes.” She muttered the last part as she forked some chicken on to a piece of bread, then stuffing it into her mouth.

Scarlette glared at her. “Well, now that you say that, oh yes, totally!” She said it in a voice two pitches higher and flipped her hair. “Do I look that desperate? I mean, I kinda want to stay away from the rockstar scene, you know?” She took a sip of water. “Just because we’re models, doesn’t mean we have to be with rockstars.”

“Yeah, yeah.” She said through chews. “He’s really nice and it’s just for a date, I’m not saying you need to marry him you know.”

“I know that, but…”

“But if you don’t like him, that’s it, never talk to him again. He is Matt’s bandmate, a guitarist.”

She grunted. “That’s playing the field. I can see the headlines already… ‘Model trades in guitar player husband for another guitarist’… Oh yeah, real good.”

“Oh who cares?”

Scarlette shrugged. “I don’t know, we’ll see.”

Sophia gave a little bounce in her chair.

“I didn’t say yes!”

“But you didn’t say no!” She grinned. “It’ll be so much fun if you do, I promise. We can do whatever you like.”

Scarlette gave her a disapproving look. “I’ll let you know in a week or so.”

Sophia slumped in her chair a little bit. “Well, I’ll just tell you about him then.”

She rolled her eyes. “All right, tell me about him.” Stuffing another piece of bread and some chicken into her mouth.

“Okay.” She smiled. “He’s thirty-five, been divorced once, about five years ago; no children, two dogs, and he’s extremely sweet.”

“What band are they in?”

“Um, Dysmorphic Sound.”

Scarlette nodded. “Such an interesting name, but I’ve hear about them. Aren’t they touring in Europe?”

Sophia nodded while chewing.

“Synthpop, new wave-ish…” She nodded slowly puckering her lips a little. “I actually enjoy their music, I believe I have some of their songs on my Ipod. Isn’t his name David or something?”

Sophia nodded again, more vigorously. “See, I think it’s a sign and they’ll be touring in a month.”

“That I like their music?” She furrowed her brows and turning up the side of her lip.

Sophia just stared at her with her mouth slightly open.

“I’ll let you know next week.” She placed her napkin on her plate with her fork and knife crossing.

Sophia grunted and did the same. “Fine, fine… Dessert?”

“Eh, maybe some coffee.” She glanced at her watch. “I have to be up early.”

“Well, how about we do it another time then? I wouldn’t want you to loose any of your beauty sleep.”

“Okay, maybe this weekend. I’ll have to check my schedule. I’ll text you when I have a free night. Oh I’m going to go look at houses this weekend, maybe you can join?”

Sophia thought about it for a moment. “Yeah, I think I can.”

Their waiter came over and cleared their table and asked them if they would like anything else or just the check. Before Scarlette had a chance to reach for her purse, Sophia had handed the waiter a credit card. Scarlette frowned.

“Don’t worry about it, it’s my gift to you. Consider it a ‘congratulations on your divorce’ type deal.” She smiled and laughed a little.

Scarlette waved a hand at her. “Well, I’ll get the tip then.” She placed a twenty dollar bill on the table.

The waiter came back with her card, Sophia signed it off and thy both thanked him. They gathered their things and proceeded to head out the door. Once outside, they walked together to their respective cars.

“Okay so I’ll call you tomorrow and let you know about this weekend and the house hunting?” Scarlette got out the keys to her car.

Sophia nodded. “Sounds good and please, think about it.” Sophia got her keys out and unlocked her car. They had reached their vehicles, which were conveniently parked next to each other.

She sighed. “All right, but I can’t promise anything.” She unlocked her car and opened the driver side door. “I’ll talk to you later.”

“All right bye.” Sophia smiled and waved as she got into her car.

On the drive home, Scarlette had thought about Sophia’s offer. She knew Sophia had good intentions but she wasn’t sure if she was ready to even think about dating or seeing someone or whatever it was they called it. He was the only person she had been with. For almost eleven years, there was no one else. She didn’t even know how to start seeing someone if she even wanted to. Taking things slow wasn’t even the start of it to begin with. Did she even know how to flirt or even how to be around men? It discouraged her a bit as these thoughts ran through her mind. Maybe it’s best if she stay low key for awhile, forget about taking a week to think things over, she had already made up her mind. And with that, she called Sophia to tell her that she wasn’t ready for any of it, for fun or not.

0 comments: