Bonus Post #1

*Author’s Note: I’m thinking bonus post should be things that happen in between the current time line, like things I don’t go over in History chapters or Current chapters. For example, this is sometime between the meeting with the divorce lawyer and *cue dramatic music* the-soon-to-be-ex-husband calling about the divorce breaking on the news. We’ll have to see how this works out, and they'll probably be short. Oh and I apologize for any slip ups, typos, etc. I typed this up pretty fast and didn't give it a second read through.

It was some time after noon but before four in the afternoon. Scarlette sat at the dinning room table, with her head tilted backwards and eyes closed. She tapped her fingers on the dinning room table debating in her head if she should call him. She let out a sighed and rolled her head forward, letting it hang forward. She bit her lip and reached for her phone. She held it for a moment, staring at it like it was some sort of great wall she had to climb over.

She took a long deep breath and scrolled through her contact list. She hit call on the number she was looking for. As it rang it felt like it was vibrating down to her toes, echoing in her head and in the room. She was snapped to, when she heard a voice on the other end of the line.

“Uh, hi, it’s Scarlette.” She held her breath and wait for a response. What felt like minutes had passed, the voice finally spoke again.

“Ah, hello.” It was hard and cold, blunt. So much distant in a voice that was so close to her ear.

She tilted her head slightly and pressed her lips into thin lines. “I know you probably don’t want to talk to me, I’m sorry for interrupting you but I had no idea who else to call. I tried to think of other people to call but my mind kept coming back to you. I’m sorry.” She waited, again it had felt like minutes had past. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have called…”

“Wait.” The voice had softened. A little weary, sighing. “What happened?”

“I. I’m leaving him. I filed for a divorce.” She said that last part firm. “For real this time. I met with a lawyer and everything. I’ve moved all my things out. I’m going to start looking for a house and a vehicle.” She sighed with a tinge of happiness. “I’m moving on. It only took me, how many years to realize this?” She gave a weak laugh.

The voice breathed heavily into the phone and then sighing with exasperation. “You should have called after the divorce was finalized. Then I would have believed you more. If, if this is all true, then that’s great! It’s about time. I’m happy for you. If not, I say this with very good reason because history constantly repeats itself around you, you’ve wasted a lot of my time and I can only hope you see the light before it is far too late.” The voice was very stern, but it cut at Scarlette like a knife.

She nodded. “Understandable. I know I can’t say much since all that has happened and I should’ve said it a long time ago, I should have listened…”

“But you loved him.”

Giving a soft laugh. “Yeah, I think I still do. I know I still do, but I’m beginning to love myself more. If I continue down that road, it will kill me… And the regret I have already built up inside me, I can have much more. I know I shouldn’t revisit the past but this, you are something I have to go back too. It may be too little too late, but I really cared about you and I still do. I’m sorry for my blindness and stupidity. I can’t believe I ever turned my back on you.” She took a deep breath in. “I will go through with this. This is a promise I can keep, I will prove it. I miss our friendship.” She was on the verge of tears, her voice cracked at almost every other word.

The voice sighed. “I’ll call you when and if I’m ready. You really burned me, you know.” And at that, the voice was gone.

She looked at her phone, the calling ending time flash on her screen for a few seconds and then went dim. She laid her head on the table and silently cried. Could this ever be repaired?

0 comments: